[Today's post is from the Configuration Manager Writing Team]
The Configuration Manager 2007 documentation library (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680651.aspx) has been updated on the Web with updates for April. Topics that were updated have Updated: April 1, 2011 at the top of the topic.
You will see updates to the supported configuration information, including support for SQL Server 2005 SP4, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and a number of updates made as a result of customer feedback.
We've also created a new topic, Configuration Manager 2007 Quizzes, which provides information and links to the downloadable quizzes and new web-based quizzes.
Although we can't promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
And if you're interested in learning more about Configuration Manager 2012 (Beta 2 announced last month) be sure to check out the new Configuration Manager 2012 Documentation Library.
What's New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for April 2011
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the January 2011 update.
Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Supported Configurations
- Updated to add support statements for SQL Server 2005 SP4, and support for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
Configuration Manager 2007 R2 Supported Configurations
- Updated to add a support statement for the Application Virtualization 4.6 SP1 Desktop Client for the Application Virtualization Client for Remote Desktop Services.
Setup Prerequisite Checks
- Updated to include a link to the installation files for Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) version 6.0.
What's New in Configuration Manager 2007 R3
- Updated to clarify that Configuration Manager 2007 R3 includes all the features from Configuration Manager 2007 R2.
Best Practices for Software Updates
- Updated with the best practice that fewer than 500 software updates are added to a single software update deployment. This information has also been added to About Software Update Deployments and About Software Update Deployment Packages.
About Configuration Manager Client Installation Properties
- Updated to the /config:<configuration file> installation property.
Prerequisites for SQL Reporting Services
- Updated with information about using SQL Reporting Services using SQL Server versions later than SQL Server 2005. This information is also in How to Configure Microsoft SQL Server for SQL Reporting Services.
Registry Key Object Properties: General Tab
- Updated to include information about how to enter values for desired configuration management in the One Of field. This information is also in Setting Properties: Validation Tab and Object Properties: Validation Tab.
How to Configure the Client Policy Polling Interval for a Specific Collection
- Updated to clarify that if a client is a member of multiple collections with different policy polling intervals, it will use the shortest configured polling interval or the site-wide policy polling interval if this is shorter.
How to Configure the Temporary Program Download Folder (Cache) for Configuration Manager Clients
- Updated with a link to Frequently Asked Questions for Software Distribution that contains more information about the temporary program download folder.
Example Scenario for Implementing Software Metering
- Updated to clarify that software metering information is collected only after the software metering rule has been created and activated.
Installing International Client Packs (ICPs)
- Updated to clarify that the Configuration Manager client must be reinstalled to upgrade an international client pack installation. This information is also clarified in Designing the International Client Pack (ICP) Deployment.
How to Manage Windows Embedded Write Filters Using Configuration Manager 2007
- Updated to include revised command lines for running the script that disables Windows Embedded write filters.
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.