The official blog of the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager Product Group
[Today's Post is provided by the Configuration Manager Writing Team]
The Configuration Manager documentation library (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680651.aspx) has been updated on the Web and the following information lists the topics that are new or contain significant changes since the April 2009 update. The latest content that has been updated on the Web has Updated: June 1, 2009 at the top of the topic.
In particular, you might want to check out the revised supported configurations, which now include support statements for SQL Server 2008 SP1, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2. Be sure to check out the details for the environments in which these are supported and whether any hotfixes are required:
We also have some new topics for the Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 features and changes, but because SP2 is still in beta, they are not published to the Web with this round of publishing updates. Instead, download the help file from the Connect site, and then search for the topic "What's New in Configuration Manager 2007 SP2".
We do value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can't promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What's New in the Configuration Manager Documentation Library for June 2009
The following information lists the topics that are new or contain significant changes since the Aril 2009 update:
Overview of Internet-Based Client Management
- Updated to include task sequences as one of the features that are not supported when clients are managed on the Internet.
Out of Band Management Console Issues
- This topic now includes a note at the top that references the Intel vPro Expert Center: Microsoft vPro Manageability Web site, which should be checked for issues that are specific to AMT (such as behavior differences between firmware versions, how to install and configure the Intel translator, and how to configure AMT). This topic has also been updated to include the known issue of trying to run the out of band management console on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server SP1.
How to Enable or Disable Certificate Revocation Checking (CRL) on Clients
- Updated to clarify that client functions that run as a result of task sequence actions always check the CRL in a native mode site, even after following the procedures to disable CRL checking on clients. This limitation will no longer apply in Configuration Manager 2007 SP2.
Ports Used by Configuration Manager
- Clarified that the configurable port TCP 9971 for the AMT management controller to the out of band service is used only for out of band provisioning, and is not used with in-band provisioning. If you are using out of band provisioning, and the server running the out of band service point has the Windows firewall enabled, ensure that this port is allowed.
How to Create a Fallback Status Point in Configuration Manager
- Revised with clarifications such as the inclusion of security best practices for production networks; a reference to installing IIS for Windows Server 2008; which log files to check for successful installation; and how to install the fallback status on a new server.
Troubleshooting SQL Reporting Services Issues
- Corrections made to the troubleshooting item "Cannot run reports from the Configuration Manager console".
Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data Task Overview
- Removed incorrect references to the SMS 2003 Client Health Tool and replaced these with references to Client Status Reporting in Configuration Manager 2007 R2.
How to Remediate Non-Compliant Computers Using Software Distribution
- Revised so that the query works with multiple versions of SQL Server.
About the Network Access Account
- With the help of community content feedback, we realized that this topic was missing a link with instructions how to configure this account. This reference has now been added.
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
In case you missed them, the following posts were published on the System Center Configuration Manager
I'm now twittering SCCM stuff to the world - follow me :)
I'm trying to create a deployment package for the forefront client using SCCM. Microsoft Documentation leaves much to be desired. Could someone point me to some clear, current, error free, and understandable documentation? Any good current documentation dealing with SCCM and Forefornt would be helpful.
The comment about creating a deployment package for the forefront client using Configuration Manager is not appropriate because it is unrelated to this post about the documentation updates for June. If you have feedback and questions about the documentation, please follow the instructions in the post and e-mail the documentation team (SMSDocs@Microsoft.com) – these types of questions cannot be addressed here. Or, post your questions to the TechNet forums (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/configurationmanager). For example, it is unclear from the comment whether you're having problems packaging, or using software distribution, or using the Forefront Client Security Integration with Configuration Manager 2007 R2.
If you are using Forefront Client Security Integration with Configuration Manager 2007 R2, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161958.aspx. Customers have told us that they found this documentation very helpful. However, if you did not, send e-mail to the documentation team with specific feedback. We cannot take action to improve the documentation unless the feedback is specific.