The Exchange 2003 Management Pack has been refreshed and is available for download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ff454f4-6d34-4fb9-9e0b-f5b68c6edc4f&DisplayLang=en
The Exchange 2003 Management Pack monitors the performance and availability of Exchange 2003 Server systems. It can also issue alerts for possible configuration problems Availability and performance monitoring is done using synthetic transactions. In addition, the Management Pack collects Event Log alerts and provides associated knowledge articles with additional user details, possible causes, and suggested resolutions. The Management Pack discovers and monitors the individual server components and functional areas on an Exchange 2003 Server. Feature Bullet Summary: This management pack monitors Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and includes monitors and rules to track performance, availability, and reliability of Exchange core components and functionality. • MAPI, OWA, OMA, EAS synthetic logon transactions • Mail flow synthetic transaction • Mail Queue monitoring using Self-Tuning Thresholds • Comprehensive performance metric collection • 1000+ Event rules with associated knowledge • Database status • Database size • Mailbox statistics • Public folder statistics • Message tracking log statistics • Exchange and related OS Service monitoring • Configuration monitoring • Topology discovery of Exchange deployment • Integration in Exchange Best Practice Analyzer and ExDiag tools • Reports in the area of Configuration and Configuration changes, Availability, Performance Management Pack Release History: 3/23/2007 - Initial Release Version 6.0.5000.0 6/25/2007 - Updated Release Version 6.0.5000.11, version details
This guide was written based on the March 2008 version of the Exchange Server 2003 Management Pack, version number 6.0.6278.2.
For the latest Management Packs for Operations Manager 2007, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82105. For the latest version of the Management Pack guides for Operations Manager 2007, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=85414.
The Exchange Server 2003 Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007 contains the following new functionality:
· Self-tuning threshold monitors for e-mail message queue thresholds. Self-tuning threshold monitors, a new feature in Operations Manager 2007, use a learning process to determine the normal values for specified performance counters. The values at which alerts should be raised, referred to as threshold levels, are automatically set based on the learned values.
· A console task targeted at the Exchange 2003 Role that starts the Exchange Server System Manager.
· Agent tasks that are targeted at the Exchange 2003 Role perform the following functions:
· Install the Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer.
· Query local domain controllers. The Query Local Domain Controllers task lists the domain controller an Exchange server is currently using. This information is useful when troubleshooting whether a server running Exchange is using an out-of-site domain controller.
· Start, stop, pause, and resume Exchange monitored services, as supported by each service.
· An agent task targeted at Exchange MAPI Logon that performs a synthetic logon to MAPI, which is a manually initiated version of the MAPI logon monitor. The task provides the status and the logon latency performance data.
The following list contains the issues that are fixed in version 6.0.6278.2 of the Exchange Server 2003 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007:
· Fixed an issue with running the Exchange Configuration Wizard on clustered Exchange Server 2003 servers. Previously, the following error might be generated on cluster nodes that were not running Exchange Server: “Error: Cannot configure the mailbox access account on computer Node_Name. This configuration can only be made after the Exchange MOM event 9986 is registered by MOM.”
· Fixed an issue with the Disk Space Monitor. When overrides were applied, the override UI page would not show the correct values for the overrides.
· Fixed an issue related to Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1. The events generated by EXBPARunLocal.vbs were not caught by the corresponding Alert rules.
· Updated the General_errors_in_the_mail_flow_sender_script rule to catch event id 9565 from the verifyMFS.js script. This event indicates script failure.
· Fixed an issue where event 9556 from the verifyMFS.js script would cause duplicate alerts to be generated.
· Updated rules that generate alerts on errors from the mailflow sender and receiver scripts so that duplicate alerts are not generated.
· Updated the columns in Exchange Server 2003 Management Pack state views to be sortable.
· The Exchange Server 2003 Topology discovery task was updated to not discover servers running Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2007.
· The verifyEAS.js script was updated to generate event id’s that are alerted on by Operations Manager.
· The MAPI_logon_failure_Error_preventing_MAPI_logon_attempt rule was updated to check for the correct event ids
· Updated the MapiLogonCheck.js script to work correctly with Operations Manager Service Pack 1.
· Event collection and alerting rules were updated to correctly work in clustered scenarios. Previously, events logged by the physical cluster nodes were not being caught by Operations Manager.
· Fixed an issue with Outlook Mobile Access (OMA) and Exchange Active Sync (EAS) monitoring when custom sites and HTTPS with certificates are used. These monitors now expose an override CustomURL which, if set to true, will cause the monitor to ignore the default URL value and use the value from the CustomURL registry key. For more information on how to use a custom URL for these monitors, see the procedures “To configure a custom URL for Outlook Mobile Access” and “To configure a custom URL for Exhange ActiveSync” in this document.
The following list contains the issues that are fixed in version 6.0.6278.0 of the Exchange Server 2003 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007:
· Fixed an issue with Outlook Web Access (OWA) monitoring when a custom OWA site and HTTPS with certificates is used. The Outlook Web Access Logon Monitor now exposes an override CustomURL which if set to true will cause the monitor to ignore the default URL value and use the value from the CustomURL registry key. For more information on how to use a custom URL, see the section “To configure a custom URL for Outlook Web Access” in this document.
· A number of 2-state monitors that previously set the health state to warning but generated error alerts were updated to generate warning alerts.
· The Collect_Mailbox_Statistics.vbs script was updated so that The Top 100 Mailboxes by Size and Message Count and Highest Growth Mailboxes reports contain data.
· The Disk_space_problem.Monitor was updated to accurately measure and alert on available free space.
· The High Growth mailboxes and Public Folder reports were updated to use correct targeting. These reports now allow the user to choose the report target.
· The Collect_Operating_System_Server_Information.vbs script was updated to correctly calculate GB.
· The EXBPA monitor was updated to refer to the correct EXBPA scripts.
· Fixed issues to the Microsoft.Exchange.ServerRole.2003.Discovery script where it would previously not discover cluster nodes if not all Windows Computer properties were discovered.
· Fixed an issue where the OWA logon script would return a bad state and log event 1999 (Exchange MOM: Cannot measure OWA availability) when it used a mailbox on a Back End server.
· Fixed an issue where the VerifyEAS.js script reported success even though a mailbox logon would fail.
· The Disk_Space_Problems.vbs was updated to accurately measure disk space.
· Fixed a number of issues related to running the following scripts:
· Changes to reports are reflected in the Reports section of this guide.
If you upgrade the Management Pack from a previous version, the report names (display strings) for five of the reports are not shown correctly. This applies to the SMTP Out: Top 100 Senders by Size, Top 100 Mailboxes by Message Count, Top 100 Mailboxes by Size, Top 100 Public Folders by Size and Top 100 Public Folders by Message Count reports. This will be fixed in a later version of the Management Pack.