Hello Folks – well it’s been a while since there has been a post to this blog. The past few months have been pretty busy for the team as we’ve been heads down with shipping the product.
As you may have heard, we officially announced the release of Forefront Client Security (FCS) on May 2nd at the Forefront + System Center launch in Beverly Hills. This was a great event and an exciting day for the team. After a lot of hard work and effort, we’re very happy to be releasing the product to the world.
I was fortunate to be able to attend the launch event– hopefully there are some readers who were also able to be there. It was great to be able to meet with so many folks, talk about the product, answer questions and hear feedback. For those who are interested, you can view the keynote as well as the drill-down presentations (including the one on Forefront Client Security I did with Brendan and Josue) at http://www.microsoft.com/infrastructure/virtualevent.mspx.
I’d encourage anyone who is interested in learning more about the product to visit http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/clientsecurity/default.mspx. From this site you can find a lot more information as well as download the evaluation edition, which will let you try out the product for 120 days.
I do want to take a moment to publicly thank all of the folks who participated in the beta and early adopter programs for FCS. You provided a lot of valuable feedback and we could not have shipped the product without your input. Moving forward I’d like to encourage everyone to continue to provide that feedback to us – tell us what you like, what you don’t like, and suggestions for how we can make the product even better moving forward. You can post comments directly to the blog or check out the FCS web forums at http://forums.microsoft.com/ForeFront/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=309&SiteID=41 – this is also a great place to ask questions and find answers.
Product Unit Manager
Forefront Client Security
I have several questions for which i cannot easily find answers:
1) From what I read Forefront is more an enterprise client security infrastructure involving complex server elements than a simple client anti-virus (AV). Am I correct?
2) Maybe this is another way to ask the same question. Norton AV Corporate Edition can be installed in managed mode or unmanaged mode. In managed mode you need the centralised management server and in unmanaged mode you only need the client anti-virus. Note that we use managed mode on our LAN, but we have hosted servers which have the AV installed in unmanaged mode. Does this also applies to Forefront?
3) If not and if I wanted to deploy Forefront client security on a hosted web server, what would be the way to do it?
4) Is there a Forefront client SDK? Can you give a URL?
5) To be more precise, i need to integrate an AV with a business ppplication which allows file uploads to a web server. Ideally I would need a Windows Workflow Foundation (WWF) activity which scans the file and gets the result and in case of failure, triggers an email notification. Building the WWF activity even around a COM component is easy, but is there such a COM component in Forefront client security? Can you link any documentation?