As most of you aware there is migration documentation out there for going from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008.
The migration in a virtual environment is essentially the same as real world. However the things to remember are:
1. Update SP2 for Exchange 2003
2. Update to SP2 for Server 2003 –x86 -x64
3. .Net 2.0 –x86 -x64
4. Update Schema
5. Elevate Active Directory
6. Run the best practice analyser to ensure a healthy source server.
(1 & 2) - The SP2 updates are available to download. Baring in mind that if your not on the internet you will need to create .iso files for discs to use in the Virtual Machine.
(3) – Again can be downloaded
(4 & 5) are on the SBS 2008 DVD …… *DVD_route/tools/sourcetool.exe ……This will do these steps for you.
(6) Should be run at the start and end of the migration prep.
Once all this has been done, and answerfile can be generated and Let the Migration Begin!
Side by Side, both the SBS 2003 box currently running and the SBS 2008 box connected to the router. (ensure the answerfile is on a usb key, vfd, or server route of the new box).