My teammate went on vacation and asked me to demonstrate reporting using the Excel Service Application in Project Server 2010 for reporting to his customer. He thanked me profusely for stepping in to cover him and then hightailed it out of the office. Huh. Now, I have to figure out how to set this up and get it working. I already know I'm not skilled at building/manipulating reports, but I figure I can configure the Excel Services Application that's part of SharePoint Server 2010 and use PWA to access Excel spreadsheets where the report data resides. The customer will have to provide the skilled labor to develop the reports, but I should be able to get him to that point successfully.
Naturally, I started off with search terms, specifically Project Server 2010 Excel Services Technet. Search parameters: http://www.bing.com/search?q=project+server+2010+excel+services+technet&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC. This easy search rewarded me with this link: Configure reporting for Project Server 2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx
I decided to use the /PWAdemo instance on my web front end/app server \\brwhitewfe2010 and database server \\brwhitedb2010. My test domain, white.com, has been up and running for a long time now and all my test servers and workstations are part of that domain.
Following the Configure reporting for Project Server 2010 link above, I started working my way through the steps. As always for customers, I recommend setting this up in a test environment so you can become familiar with the steps and how to deal with any issues that arise in a non-production environment so that when you roll out your changes in production, it's a non-event and there are no surprises. The story below is the description of what I did to get this all working. It was surprisingly easy. I recommend you open the link and use it in conjunction with my notes below.
So now that that's all be configured, I can start with the Excel report creation...