Get on-the-go access to the latest insights featured on our Trustworthy Computing blogs.
Have you ever wanted to deploy an update in Configuration Manager and went hay i don't see that in my list of updates? You probably started looking around checking to ensure your classifications and products were all filled out and noticed all were selected or the ones you required were selected and still nothing to be found.
Well if you have, you have been in the same boat as me until i realized how to fix this problem. Its maybe not as straight forward as you would think but the process is very easy to get these phantom updates synced up in WSUS so you don't have deploy them via software distribution etc.
1) First open up the Windows Server Updates Services Console.
2) Next lets expand Update Services --> Server --> Updates and select import updates from the actions pane on the right.
3) You will be redirected to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com once here install the Activex Control if this is your first time visiting the site.
4) Now lets search for our Phantom Update in this example i am going to use the recently released http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511 Update. Once found select "Add All" and View Basket.
5) Next we can simply select Import and the selected updates will be imported directly into WSUS.
6) Open the Configuration Manager Console and Expand Overview --> Software Updates --> All Software Updates and select "Synchronize Software Updates". After a few minutes you can monitor the wsyncmgr.log and verify your updates synced with your SUP.
7) You should now see your Phantom Update in the All Software Updates node in the ConfigMgr Console and can deploy it like any other update.