Upgrade SCCM 2007 SP1 to SP2
Step1: Uninstall the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) version 1.1 from the SMS Provider computer and then restart the computer before beginning the upgrade process.
Step2: Insert SP2 Media on SCCM 2007 Server. And run Setup.exe
Step 3: Select Upgrade option
Step 4: Select the Patch where you want to download the Updates and click on next
Step 5: Click Next
Step 6: On Successful download of Updates Click on Next
Step 7: Click on Begin Install
Step 8: On Successful Installation click on Next
Step 9: Click on Finish to Complete SCCM 2007 SP2 Upgrade
On Successful upgrade to SCCM 2007 SP2 you can run R2 to get some additional functionality
The following features are new to Configuration Manager 2007 R2:
For more information, see About Unknown Computer Support for Operating System Deployment.
For more information, see About Multicast for Operating System Deployment.
Operating System Deployment Using SCCM 2007
Step 1: Install WDS on SCCM 2007 Server or on Different Server. On Successful Installation Configure WDS Server
Once WDS is Configured Click on the
Configure DHCP Server and If DHCP and WDS are in Same box then click on Check box marked in red. If DHCP and WDS are in different box uncheck both the box below and configure DHCP Option 66 and 67.
If WDS is installed on Different Server in SCCM 2007 Server Console Add the Server and Assign PXE Service Point.
If SCCM 2007 and WDS is running on the Same Server then Assign PXE Service point role on the SCCM 2007 Server.
To Confirm Successful Installation of PXE Service Point please confirm on PXE Setup.log c:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager \logs
Enable Unknown Computer Support on PXE Service Point. Right Click on ConfigMgr PXE Service Point and click on properties
Download Drivers and install on a folder. From SCCM 2007->Operating System Deployment->Click on Drivers ->Import
Click on Next
Select the Drivers if you want to inject in Boot Images.
Once completed you will be able to see drivers in Drivers Tab
To Inject Drivers in the boot Images Right Click on Boot Images->Properties->Windows PE tab.
To Categories the Drivers Click on Drivers->Select the drivers
Click On Categories and Create your Own Category.
Add Distribution Point on the Boot Images. Click on the Distribution point Tab->New Distribution Point ->Server Share as Shown in Screen Shots Below.
Note: on Successful Configuration of PXE Service Point You will see the Server share in Distribution point List
Add Operating System Images
1) Right Click on Operating System Image ->Add Operating System Image->Select the Path for the WIM File.
2) On Successful addition of Image Close the Tab
3) Add Distribution Point to the OS package.
Create Package for SCCM 2007 Client
Add Distribution Point to the package
Create Task Sequence
In the Configuration Manager console, navigate to System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Computer Management / Operating System Deployment / Task Sequences.
2. On the Create a New Task Sequence page, select Install an existing image package, and then click Next.
3. On the Task Sequence Information page, specify a descriptive name for the task sequence, and then add an optional comment. To specify the boot image that will be associated with the task sequence, click Browse to open the Select a Boot Image dialog box, select the boot image, and then click Next.
The boot image you specify must match the chip architecture installed on the target computer or the task sequence will fail
4. On the Install the Windows Operating System page, specify the operating system image package that will be used to install the operating system image by clicking Browse button to open the Select an Operating System Image dialog box, and then selecting the operating system package. If there are multiple images in the image package, use the drop-down to specify the Image that should be associated with the image package. To partition and format the target computer's hard disk prior to installing the operating system image, select the Partition and format the target computer before installing the operating system check box.
Do not select the option to format and partition the target computer hard disk if you have saved the user state locally or the saved user state will be erased. For more information about saving the user state locally on the target computer for in-place operating system deployment scenarios
5. Additionally, on the Install the Windows Operating System page, specify the Windows Product key and Server license mode. If you specify Per server as the license mode, configure the Maximum server connections that will be permitted. You must also specify if the local administrator account should be disabled, or if you want to use the same administrator account for all target computers by selecting the appropriate option. Click Next
6. On the Configure the Network page, specify if the target computer will join a Workgroup or a Windows Domain.
7. On the Install ConfigMgr page, click the Browse button to launch the Select a Package dialog box and select the Configuration Manager 2007 package that will be used to install the Configuration Manager 2007 client. Specify the Configuration Manager 2007 client installation properties that will be used in the Installation properties window. Click Next
8. On the Include Updates in Image page specify how the target computer will install assigned software updates by selecting the appropriate option.
9. On the Install Software Packages page, click New to open the Program Select dialog box. Click Browse to open the Select a Package dialog box. Select the Configuration Manager 2007 packages you want to include, and then click OK. Use the drop down to select the associated programs that should be used.
10. To complete the creation of the new task sequence, on the Summary page, click Next.
To partition the hard drive select the partition disk tab in the task sequence. Select the highlighted section
Give partition name and partition type. And press OK
Task Sequence Advertisement
Right Click on Task Sequence and click on advertise
Please Tick on Make this Task Sequence Available to Boot Media and PXE
Click on Next to Finish
To verify the Advertisement click on the collection->Properties and select Advertisement Tab
Boot the Computer from Network
Great Link (Y)!!!
This is a good starter post, but how about adding some capability pertaining to computer naming and general customizations.
Example: How to integrate Windows System Image Manager. Its seems pretty straight forward, but in my testing, my unattend.xml file parameters are not taking affect.
Thanks, very good guide!
after installation, what will be the windows 7 user account and password?
excellent guide - thanks for creating!
Thanks for your comment. You can set up Admin Password in Task Sequence.
When adding the distribution point, why do you select the SCCM server and not the SCCM\PXEIMAGE?
can u email me OSD docs plz
I have been hitting a blank wall on this until I saw your post. I'm going to follow it and run some tests. Nice work! I have been wondering about the relationship between WDS and SCCM and I think you started me on the right path.
very helpful link, thanks for posting it !!!