This step is important when decide to build a brand new Green Field Windows 2008 Active Directory service and want to start utilizing the new Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory by importing all organization users’ names and passwords into the Active Directory:
1) Build CSV file that include Organization Users with specific attributes to be imported in the new Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory,
Sample of CSV can be as the following:
For simplicity’s sake we’ll keep it to a few basic properties like Name and Description, of course Organization IT team can and normally would have significantly more. To make it easier IT team can add a few extra columns like the SamAccountName and the Path (OU) where Organization would like the account to be created, and for account password IT team can configure random or fixed password for all users and force it for all users and distribute the new passwords for each user individually while configure all users to be forced to change password after first login.
2) Use cmdlet Import-CSV which read from a standard CSV file and create a set of objects based on data inside the CSV file, then send the results of this cmdlet using PowerShell pipeline to New-ADUser cmdlet from ActiveDirectory module to create the specified users in the Active Directory, as a sample cmdlet: “Import-CSV C:\Users.csv | New-ADUser” this command to be run from Active Directory PowerShell Module.
3) Verify that the users in CSV are imported in the Active Directory.
4) Manually join all workstations to the new Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory and give the required permissions for each user on his workstation
5) Verify that each user can login to his workstation with his new Active Directory user account.
Thanks. This is actually interesting and v.useful.
How about helping to create a real user usage file for anyone on the Internet to access and use in real time?
Do have have any edits that you think would work better?
Here is the live file:
how do you to add the password when importing users?
Password can be new column in same CSV file.
Download and use this file.. might be useful..
Very helpful.. Thanks for the post.
Very easy GUI Based and helpful....
Hi thanks for this nice article and post. Please update like in case this is the exporting of the user but in some cases like i want to the user should be exported with the photo at that case what should be done. Shall we have to use a third party applications for the same. I have google out and founded a tool name
A freeware applications, and once again thanks.
That script you have doesn't seem to reference anything at all in your example picture. lol...
“Import-CSV C:\Users.csv | New-ADUser”
What about referencing the attributes in your example? Name, SamAccountName, First Name, Last Name, etc?
This blog does nothing more than make you wonder how to get it to work and look elsewhere.
I can refer this active directory tool for importing active directory objects with advanced options ,
refer here : <a href="www.adsysnet.com/asn-active-directory-manager-bulk-objects-creation.aspx">Object Creation using CSV</a>
For free evaluation for 7 days,
looking for better tool in low cost.try here.really worthiest tool.
For the value path, I tried entering a path but I get "A value for the attribute was not in the acceptable range of values, Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.NewADUser" The value is : "OU=2022,OU=Students,OU=Users,OU=ABCD,DC=ABCD,DC=XX,DC=YYY,DC=UU"
Is there a limit on the number of charaters?
I am completely stuck.Iam using active directory 2012 and all the tools on the internet arent helping me add bulk users to the directory.Anyone who has an idea of a free tool that can work on server 2012 and steps to doing it.
not a working script. No field for values like display name and UPN name. I think its a waste of time
I tried this and it created the first user account successfully, but all others fail with the following error "New-ADUser : The specified account already exists". But when I search AD there isn't an account for the users with error messages. If I switch
the order of the spreadsheet I get the same result where the first account is created but the others fail. Any help appreciated.