Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support: Windows Server Core Team
EPS Team Blogs
Product Team Blogs
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2008 Update 1 is the recommended process and toolset to automate desktop and server deployment.
Scoping the Issue
Questions to help narrow down the issue:
· What operating system are you deploying?
· Are you doing a lite touch deployment or zero touch deployment?
· For lite touch deployment are you booting lite touch using a DVD, USB flash drive, USB hard drive, or PXE?
· Are you building out a new image or deploying a sysprepped image you already created?
· Are you running the latest version of Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 or earlier version?
· What version of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) is installed on your MDT server?
· At what point are you getting a error?
· What is the exact error message?
· Are you using WDS?
· Is your image configured for multicast or unicast?
· Are you using a database for configuration?
· Are you using driverpaths to manage your drivers?
During deployment: C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS
After deployment is complete: The .log files are moved to either %WINDIR%\SMSOSD or %WINDIR%\TEMP\SMSOSD after you click okay oh the MDT summary page
SMSTS.log: May reside in %TEMP%, %WinDir%\System32\ccm\logs, C:\_SMSTaskSequence, or C:\SMSTSLog.
CustomSettings.ini: This file resides on the MDT server in the Deployment point(DP) folder\control
For Windows Server 2003/Windows XP deployments supply the following:
For Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 supply the following:
c:\Windows\panther folder and contents
c:\Windows\system32\sysprep folder and contents
Troubleshooting / Resolution
If you are receiving any of these error messages deploying Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP
A disk read error occurred
Unable to load operating system
Error loading operating system
Stop: 0x000000ED (0X81F85678, 0xC000014F,0x00000000,0x00000000) Unmountable_boot_volume
Make sure that the "Set Diskpart BIOS Compatibility Mode" is enabled in your task sequence
To determine the version look at Add/Remove Programs. You cannot use the help, about in the deployment toolkit workbench to determine the installed version. It is not accurate.
Here are the different versions and how they appear in Add/Remove Programs
Microsoft Deployment(AKA BDD 2008, AKA BDD 4.0, AKA Windows Server Deployment, AKA Deployment 4):
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 4.0.383.0
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit:
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 4.1.523.0
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Update 1:
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 Update 1(4.2.523.40)