Hi everyone, Mark Stanfill here and today I want to talk about sequencing Intuit QuickBooks 2011. This article describes one method to sequence Intuit QuickBooks 2011 using the Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) 4.6 Sequencer. This is not the only way to sequence QuickBooks 2011 but is a method that has worked for me in the past so I wanted to share it with all of you. Your mileage may vary.
1. Side-by-side assemblies must be installed. QuickBooks 2011 uses two separate versions of the Visual C++ runtime. Ideally, these should be installed locally outside the Sequencer. I was able to get packages working with the SxS assemblies in the bubble, but the results were inconsistent.
2. The application relies on having the QBCFMonitorService started before it launches. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a pre-launch dependency script.
3. The inetclnt.dll file needs to be copied to your install folder.
4. The EntitlementDataStore.ecml licensing file may need to be deleted in your environment.
1. Start QuickBooks setup. This will verify the package and extract the contents to %appdata%.
2. Copy the extracted binaries from %appdata%\..\low\temp to a safe place (steps 5 & 7 below). There will be 3 directories – Premier, qbupdate, WPDNSE.
3. Download and install the RTM Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en. Answer “Yes” when prompted with the “Did this package install correctly?” dialog. This is installed locally outside the sequencer.
4. Install the SP1 Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable from Premier\ThirdParty\CRT9\vc_red.msi. Setup will silently complete. This is installed locally outside the sequencer.
5. Start the Sequencer.
6. Make a Q:\qb2011.001 folder (or similar).
7. Copy Premier\inetclnt.dll (from step 2 above) to Q:\qb2011.001.
8. Start the QuickBooks 2011 setup program and follow the Wizard as appropriate.
9. Finish sequencing.
10. Edit the OSD to add a script pre-launch dependency to start the QBCFMonitorService service before launching the application:
<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE"> <HREF>cmd /c start /wait cmd /c net start QBCFMonitorService</HREF> </SCRIPT>
11. Edit the SFT to remove the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file. A new file will be automatically generated when the user launches the program for the first time. (see http://forums.quickbooksusers.com/showthread.php?t=21646). The default location in the OSD is under CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0\EntitlementDataStore.ecml.
Note: You will need to verify with Inuit that this method falls within your licensing terms.
Mark Stanfill | Senior Support Escalation Engineer
The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/ The WSUS Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/sus/ The SCMDM Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/mdm/ The ConfigMgr Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/configurationmgr/ The SCOM 2007 Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/operationsmgr/ The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/ The MED-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv/ The DPM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/ The OOB Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/oob/ The Opalis Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/opalis The Service Manager Team blog: http: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager The AVIcode Team blog: http: http://blogs.technet.com/b/avicode The System Center Essentials Team blog: http: http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials The Server App-V Team blog: http: http://blogs.technet.com/b/serverappv
Awesome. Quickbooks has always frustrated me
Has anyone had any luck with this recipe? The results I have had have been inconsistent. I also believe Quickbooks contains DCOM elements that are not supported with AppV 4.6 SP1
I have tried this 3 times and have yet to see success.
We worked with Mark on sequencing QB Pro 2011 and had issues. It seems like it will work, but then as soon as a user registers QB and logs out, the app no longer works. If we could figure out a way to keep it working after registration, we'd be in great shape. I think it is doing something like product activation once the registration process is complete and that process builds a file that marks the license file as invalid. We hope to get this working sometime next week.
More info about the license error that happens after registration:
Could not initialize license properties
[Error 3371,StatusCode - 1118] QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files
I've tried following this and it doesn't seem to work right.
Used Quickbooks 2011 PRO
Get "CRASH" "COM ERROR" and also have experience sometimes where quickbooks would open and then shutdown immediately.
Yeah same thing here with the COM ERROR. It is related to QBHelp.exe but I have been unable to fix it. I honestly don't think APP-V will be able to package quickbooks and stream it correctly. If you find out a way let me know!