I'll bet that 90% of blog posts about Las Vegas have "Viva Las Vegas" as the title.  The other 10% use Lost Wages.  Sorry, after two days here, I got nothin.

I was in Vegas for the Interop show, again, helping out the NAP team with some demos.  Flying in, I remembered how much I like Vegas.  I used to be here a couple times a year for one event or another, but this was only my 2nd visit in the last few years.  It's been years since I've been here for a big trade show - the last time I was here for a show, Microsoft was working hard to ship a product codenamed "Chicago."

I had my choice of hotels to stay at, and I picked the Luxor.  I remember when it first opened, and I was excited by the magical concept of staying inside a pyramid and riding the Inclinator to my room.  At the time, I didn't realize that the convention was being held right next door at Mandalay Bay, so it was nice and convenient.

When I checked in, I went to my room, dropped off my stuff and walked over to check out the view from my window.  I promptly smacked my head against the glass.  Stupid slanted windows from being inside a pyramid.  Ouch.

Shortly thereafter I would learn that there was no wireless internet access in the hotel, and that I'd have to use a wire to connect.  Seriously, is this 1995?  How hard is it to throw a few WAPs around?  

I was deep in the throes of a cold, so I didn't really go anywhere besides my hotel room and the Microsoft Island of the exhibition hall.  The expo was really cool though.  Last week at WinHEC I had a pretty straightforward demo of NAP over IPSec.  The whole thing was housed on a single laptop running 4 virtual machines.

My demo at Interop was much cooler.  We were showcasing our 802.1x interoperability, so I had a rack with 10 different switches from all the major network providers.  When people came over, I'd ask them which vendor they used, then plug my client in to the relevant switch and explain what NAP was doing as it quarantined or remediated the client.  Way cool.

I didn't make it out to see any of the other booths outside Microsoft's, but we had several NAP partners stationed in our booth.  One of the coolest, IMO, was the Linux SHA from Avenda Systems.  NAP ships in the box with a Windows SHA - it knows some basic things to check for on a Windows client, like is AV installed, or is the firewall enabled, or are automatic updates turned on.  Avenda's offering is a similar SHA for Linux clients - they check to see if the firewall is started, and can check for a selection of Linux daemons to see if they are running on the client.  In the demo they showed me, they stopped the firewall on their RedHat box, and the machine was moved into a quarantine network - just like the Windows machines in the demo I was doing.  I often think we don't tell our interop story enough, and this was a great example of how well we can play with others.